Burnout is very, very, real but we often ignore it hoping it will go away. We don’t realize how it affects so many aspects of our lives. Friends and family, co-workers, and clients, they’re all probably seeing it sooner than you do.
I get it, we are all overextended in so many ways right now. At home, at work, the pressure to perform in the midst of so much turmoil can be overwhelming. If we don’t do something about it, burnout is just going to stay this way. Are you OK with that?
Are you burned out? Ask yourself:
- Are you tired right now?
- Does it feel like you are ALWAYS tired?
- When was the last time you felt energized and fully alive?
- Have you been warned at work that your production is slowing?
- Have you been more than a little grumpy lately?
- Do you have to drag yourself out of bed in the morning?
- Exhausted by midday?
- Are you dissatisfied or disillusioned with your work?
- Do you feel like you just can’t get everything done in a day?
- Do you feel detached from others, or a desire to isolate yourself?
Typical resonses to overwhelm and burnout?
If you or someone you know may be suffering from burnout, see if any of these “coping” mechanisms seems to be going on.
- Hide our heads under the covers
- Deny that we’re burned out and ignore the obvious evidence that we ARE
- Make lists and more lists of things we have to do (and not do them)
- Think we are the only ones who can handle what needs to be done
- Catastrophize what “could” happen if… (fill in with impending doom)
When we are burned out we are not able to operate effectively, personally or professionally. We often can’t see that we are getting burned out until it is fully upon us, and by then it’s so much harder to recover, isn’t it?
Where do we start?
- Recognize the symptoms, and they may be a lot more subtle than you think. By the time we see it it’s already affecting us, sometimes dramatically.
- Learn how to make objective decisions about how to moderate the effects of burnout on ourselves and others.
- Implement simple strategies to reduce the impact of stress and the likelihood of burnout.
- Register for the class below to get simple tips to rediscover meaning and joy in your life.
Free Class May 12, 2022 05:00 PM Pacific Time
If you’re feeling burned out, you don’t have to be stuck in it. Let me show you some simple tools to get your life back. Register now for a free class to learn the skills you need to reduce stress and the effects of burnout.