• Home
  • |
  • Blog
  • |
  • Best Practices For Killer Facebook Video Ads

Best Practices For Killer Facebook Video Ads

April 26, 2016

In case you haven’t noticed, video views on Facebook are exploding. The site claims over 4 billion video views per day, a serious rival for Youtube. Content companies like Buzzfeed saw an incredible growth in their video views, reportably as much as 800% this year.

Tubular labs created a report on the top 10 most watched video publishers on Facebook, with Buzzfeed’s “Tasty” content seen by 2.2 Billion people in March 2016 alone! That is in contrast to Red Bull on YouTube with just 131 Million views during the same time period.

But it’s not just the big content companies seeing fantastic results. We are seeing this will small brands too. Take our client, Jogalong Stroller as an example. We ran several video ads for them, each targeting similar audiences, testing messaging and length as well as targeting.

The ad above was one of our top performers, here are some details:
We spent a total of $389 on this ad over a period of 2 weeks.
As you can see we reached 181,948 people in our targeted market and 98,120 of them viewed the video that’s over a 53% view rate!

Most importantly we got an outstanding amount of engagement and that turned into a lot of organic traffic. We paid for only 63% of the views, the other 37% was generated by views of the video shared on user’s timelines.

This ad stopped running in March and we are still seeing fresh views, to the tune of an additional  30,000 views since the ad stopped running. This is most likely from a combination of shares on user pages and showing up as a “recommended video” in news feeds on the site.

Ready to get started with  video ads on Facebook? Here are some tips to getting tons of views for your videos too.

Upload high quality video to Facebook directly, not YouTube or Vimeo links.In my experience, you’ll get a lot more shares and views with uploads than links.

  • H.264 video with AAC audio in MOV or MP4 format
  • Aspect ratio no larger than 1280px wide and divisible by 16px
  • A frame rate at or below 30fps
  • Stereo audio with a sample rate of 44,100hz
  • Smaller than 4 GB
  • Less than 120 minutes long (!)

Get to the candy first
You’ve got about 2 seconds to grab a viewer’s attention. Make it catchy right off the bat, and remember, Facebook videos start with the sound off. Make them want to click to turn the sound on. Use captions in case they don’t.

Be real
Highly produced ads feel like ads. Too commercial in style and you’ll put off your users. This is a SOCIAL platform so tell us a story we can relate to and share with our friends. Think about what they want to hear and use language they will relate to.

Customize videos to audiences
Take full advantage of Facebook’s interest targeting. If you’re creating an ad for owners of Golden Retrievers, put your focus on that breed. Create a different video for Weimereiners.

Better to create multiple videos, each with their own ad set, than to target ineffectually. Targeting does you no good if it conflicts with the message in the video.

Add a call to action
Be sure to tell us what you want us to do. When you upload your video, do it on the desktop so you can add a call to action at the end. I suggest you add the link in the text too, to double up on opportunities to click, especially for longer videos. If they don’t get to the end they won’t see the call to action there.

Be mindful of the platforms
If most of your traffic is coming from mobile devices you’re gonna have to be quick. 15-30 seconds is best on Mobile. 1-2 minutes is really the max on the desktop version unless you’ve really got a great story. Again, it’s about who you are talking to, not what you want to say. Keep your focus on the user.

Embed your video in your website

If you want to show the video on your blog or website you can do so easily. Just go to your video and choose “Embed video” from the options menu. Grab the snippet of code and you’re all set. This works on most videos, just like other platforms, so you can embed any Facebook video you like, but please, give attribution to the source! Learn more advanced ways to embed Facebook video.

Set up tracking
Add a Facebook pixel to your site so you can get real data in the Facebook ads dashboard. Don’t stop there though. Google custom URLs will help you see the real incoming traffic and so much more. At the very least use URL shorteners to track those clicks.

Have you had great luck with Facebook video? Tell us your story!

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}