Twitter’s Big Announcement
I just listened to the live Ustream broadcast of Twitter’s big announcement thanks to @Scoble and Ustream. Well, me and over 4500 other viewers, so I thought I’d give you a quick re-cap.
A few stats:
- 375,000 new users sign up per day, 16% of those are on mobile. There’s a greater need for people to be able to use it on mobile devices. Since 90% of the content on Twitter is public it’s hard to find the specific information you’re interested in.
- 90 million tweets a day or more and growing.
- 78% of active users have used it in the last 30 days.
- Twitter mobile users are up 250% this year.
- Twitter.com (the web site) is the way most people experience Twitter (not a client)
EV- Twitter is the way people find out what’s happening in the world that interests them. Some are friends but it’s also business leaders, journalists, media. Our goal is to make this information network as useful as possible.
To get started on Twitter- You don’t have to tweet any more than you have to create a web page to use the web. There’s something on Twitter for everyone.
What’s the announcement?
All this was to announce a new Twitter.com.
- The home page is re-designed with a two-paned design.
- Expanded use of “Places.
- Easier management of your followers without leaving the page.
- Images and video are shown live in the page without opening another window, and they teamed up with the major video and photo suppliers to integrate them into the page
- Expanded search options including dynamic search and saving searches
- The new Twitter was built on their own API
Here’s the video on the new Twitter.
All in all the changes allow you to stay on the user interface instead of opening a bunch of window. You’ll be able to reply to a Tweet right in the interface without it disappearing in your timeline. Conversations are threaded.
This is an incremental rollout so it will be available to a select number of users at first, and then rolled out to everyone over the next month or so.
So look for the new Twitter to show up on your account and add your feedback! I’d love to hear what you think and if you think you’ll use it more or less in future.
Have you read my book yet? “Social Media Success! – Practical advice and real-world examples for social media” is available on Amazon